Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Morning PTSD Wig-Out!

This morning I decided to venture up to McCord AFB to do a big quarterly shopping at the commissary. Even with the trek I can save a bundle and also not have to get some darned bogus brand. I am also a Mega-Couponer!
In fact my mother gave me a nice booklet organizer file with a convenient shopping list pad & band to hold a pen.
I use it ritually now! So...I head off only to be stuck in horrid traffic and it didn't take the Ambulance or police bikes to recognize that I would soon be driving by an accident. I have been evaluated as disabled with 60% of it due to PTSD, though military service related it is not combat related, but from two near fatal vehicle accidents while stationed overseas.
So seeing an accident, hearing a car screech or even just seeing skid marks and smelling the burnt rubber will cause me to Wig-Out! I had a Wig-Out this morning and I realized that my Military Brothers and Sisters with Combat related PTSD are actually luckier than me! No one will be shoving an M-16 in their hands and shoving them off to Vietnam or Iraq etc... With Helicopters circling and the enemy firing on them. While I have no choice but to drive to get my groceries etc... So I have to suffer day in day out.
This weekend I had the chance to speak with a wonderful lady, the Supreme-[National] President of the Military Order of the Cooties-Women's Auxiliary-The Honor Degree of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Rebecca Strauss has been a VA nurse for 25yrs & as I was chatting with her and other ladies of the Auxiliary; I mentioned my PTSD and she said I must be a walking time bomb. I agreed, though I do try to put it out of my mind. The majority of the US is set so that without a car it is difficult for a disabled person to get around to do all the errands, post office, vet, shopping, library etc... I am doing the best I can to deal with it and hope that in gritting my teeth I won't wind up with dental problems to boot!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home