Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Vietnam Wall Experience


I am assisting/Volunteering while Lincoln Memorial Park in Portland, OR has the Vietnam Traveling Wall displayed. It is here through Memorial Day and many have already come to visit it, leaving flowers-relics of the war and taking with them a feeling of closure or learning something more of what our country and service men and women went through during and after the war.
It is high time we welcome them home and I am proud to be part of this experience.
I have been assisting Vets and their families in locating names on the wall and many have embraced me weeping and finally having closure from the pain that has whittled them down through these thirty plus years.
There was a Vietnam Vet that drove all the way from Central Oregon. He braved the trip knowing he would finally be confronted with the names of his soldier brothers who had fallen. Once he arrived into the parking lot he couldn't muster the strength to make the trip to touch the wall.
So many family members and Vets are experiencing for the first time the good and painful passages of time.
I will never forget this experience myself and am proud to be a part of it!
I haven't felt this much alive in years!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madam Attitude: It was my great joy meeting you at the Wall this week, and I hope to see you again. My husband was one of the gentlemen that was dressed proudly in the blues. You were taking pictures everywhere and I know you got several of Jim and my hubby Dearl. Ronnie Milsap said it best: I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The tears, the emotions of all kind were flowing this week. Words cannot discribe what we are feeling at this moment. Robin.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home