Monday, October 16, 2006

Iridotomy

Funky name for the laser procedure done on patients with Narrow Angle Glaucoma.
Don't get hooked on the word glaucoma,
it isn't Glaucoma!
The narrow angle thing has to do with the fact that the cornea angle and how it rounds near the Iris is, in my situation, narrow and thus causes the miniscule tubes, in that space of the eye, that circulate the fluid from the front of the eye to the back of the eye to be pinched closed and this causes a high amount of pressure build-up on the eye that causes blindness.
So, as I mentioned before, I got a laser cut into all the layers of the Iris in both eyes, in the upper most section of the Iris that my eye lid sometimes covers.
Well today I went in for a pressure check and my right eye was still too high. So my Doc went in with the laser and increased the miniscule hole, making certain all layers of the Iris were opened sufficiently to allow the fluid to seep out.
Crazy thing, but if it can cause me to go blind-DO IT! TAKE CARE OF IT!
I go back next Monday to see if the laser treatment and these steroidic drops I am using 4x a day worked and we don't need to do anymore laser cutting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home