Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mitzvah for a Buddy

We all do our best to do a Mitzvah when we can.
A Good Deed for someone in need!
One of my VFW buddies recently lost his wife to cancer.
Not only that he is poor.
I don't have much, but with a little better education and knowledge I have budgeted well. My sister says I am the only one she knows that can pinch a nickel so hard I can make the Indian ride the Buffalo!
So...Each evening I have been calling this guy just to see how he is, let him know some one cares and maybe get him to smile or laugh before his dreaded march to an empty bed. He has thanked me often for these friendly calls.
Well the other night on one of these calls I asked him what he had for dinner-having to start the conversation somewhere! He said Corn Flakes.
I said that I hoped he was having them by choice and not because he had nothing else to eat! He said he didn't know what anything was in his freezer, what was good and what was never tossed out!
So I went to his place the next day and we sorted it all out. Funny...I hadn't seen a non-frost-free fridge in like ever! You know someone is poor when you open their freezer and realize it isn't a frost-free unit!
Anyway, so we organized it and tossed the old stuff.
Then of the stuff left the chicken and a roast he said he didn't know how to fix so I took them home and made a huge pot of chicken with lentils soup and last night I made BBQ chicken wings with beans and brought them over to him today.
Then I took him into Portland to see our VFW Service Officer to begin his VA paperwork for disability consideration. Being a Korean Vet this should have been done like before I was born-1960!
So...I know he is on a positive motion forward to taking care of his financial predicament and he has food in the house and a roast to arrive cooked soon!
I feel I have done a well needed Mitzvah!
It is now is his park to keep the ball rolling.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Wrider said...

That was a good mitzvah indeed! I think it's interesting how we rarely have to look very far from ourselves to find someone that can really benefit from a kind deed and doesn't it make us feel oh so good inside when we do?

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home