Saturday, October 28, 2006

Surprise Visit of an Old Friend

Wow! What a wonderful day!
I got an Email from an old Navy Friend-she was my LPO-Lead Petty Officer at NSGA Sabana Seca, Puerto Rico.
We had great times together and kept up correspondence.
In fact her son came to stay with me, in Italy, for a summer-a few years later!
So...this Email said Hey I'm in Portland, Oregon LOL!
I read it and freaked! She, from Pensacola Florida obviously didn't realize how close I am to Portland!
So I must've Emailed her a ton of times.
I even called every hotel I could think of, but missed calling the Marriott, which is where she was staying, for a conference.
So she finally called me this morning and we spent the entire day just chatting and I took her to my favorite haunt in Portland-Powell's City of Books! Love that place.
(Broke in the New Year with my family there on January first!)
Then we went to one of my favorite Mexican places and ordered huge burritos and at my home we ate and chatted.
I then took her to the Gem & Mineral Museum here in town-Great place all should go!
The Rice Gem & Mineral Museum.
Then hopped across town to the Jackson Bottom Wetlands and meandered a bit more.
What a nice special day!
Toni is two months older than me, but joined the Navy at 20.
I joined when I was like 32!
So the fact that I was disability Retired around the time she retired at 20yrs kind of evened things out.
She has some disabilities and is still filing for further evaluations.
It was so great to see her!
Our last time together was back in '99 when I was in Pensacola for TACTINTEL school at NTTC Correy Station in Pensacola where she lives.
I can only hope it isn't seven years until we have another chance to see each other!
What a great day!
I hope our Football teams did as well today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home